Question

A little about me, Courtney

• 4 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Wonder Community!

My name is Courtney Jermyn, I am originally from Canada but now reside in the Netherlands . I am a natural leader, mentor and entrepreneur with a drive to generate new opportunities, improve processes, and inspire the mind.

My professional background is Earth Science. I have been consulting for over 16 years but for the past 2 year, I have been focused on global Energy and Sustainability challenges by actively developing ways to accelerate innovative solutions to reach global goals by 2050.

The Wonder platform has been very beneficial for several of my activities, in particular, connecting international audiences during my Transformathon events (hackathon/speed innovation events)! 

Anyone active in similar areas? 

7 replies

Userlevel 2

What sustainability challenges do you think can be met in the next 6 months?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Courtney haha I see you received a “softball” for your first question :grin:

@ian from alter.is curious to the answer too :robot:

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

🥎

Userlevel 2

@ian from alter.is I guess I first have to ask what kind of world are we living in to get something done in 6 months. A lot could be done but reality is much different. What would you say?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I would say that time is an illusion, but that question is probably best left to the philosophers. In reality, I’d say there are a million different variables. I don’t have an answer! 🤷

Userlevel 2

@Wonder-ful_Andrew and @ian from alter.is, I think if we lived in an ideal world where all variables were aligned to make the right choices then a time frame of 6 months is possible for many of the sustainability goals such as poverty and gender equality to name a few. However, we live in such a complex system where even business working on improving positive impact on some of the SDGs can be even compromising on other SDG goals. 

Considering the real world, we do have to move more quickly to make change happen so I think it is more important to look at the SDG in a systemic way and ask the question "how do we currently address the SDG goals in our company? How can we address SDG goals in our company and bring positive systemic impact in the next 6 months, 5 years, etc. to reach the desired goals by 2050. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Courtney I really appreciate your response here and have some ideas what we can do around sustainability and the community. I’m going to send you a private message in the next few days and maybe we can collaborate on something!