Using background design instead of room areas?

• 9 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3

While I like the way the room areas work, I found they can be confusing at first, especially if there are many of them in random order (if I remember correctly, there´s already a topic somewhere in the community asking for the possibilty to customize areas).  So, I´ve tried a suggestion from a fellow wonderer and designed a background with marked “areas”.

A little background on our event: virtual language tables in 6 languages, two levels each, which makes 12 areas, plus a help-area.  Participants are expected to move around the room and join several tables.  The problem with wonder-areas is that if you´re zoomed out you can hardly read the names of the areas, and if you´re zoomed in you don´t see all the areas.  Confusing for first-timers on the plattform.

With “areas” built into the background, on the other hand, there´s the problem of avatars and circles moving in relation to the bakground, for example when zooming in and out or when activating the cameras when joining a circle (circles on the top half of the background get moved to the bottom half to make room for the videos).  So, not ideal either.

I´ve experimented with a combination of background design and wonder areas, but that has not lead anywhere so far.  Any ideas or suggestions?

wonder room areas
background “areas”

Can someone share their experiences working with areas built into the background?  Our next event is next Wednesday (13.10.) and I need to decide which design to use…

Looking forward to your feedback!

9 replies

Userlevel 4

Thank you so much for sharing the background that you are experiencing with.  I haven't tried yet, but seeing what you did is really helpful.   I think a bachground Maker would be a great addition to the product.  

Userlevel 3

While I like the way the room areas work, I found they can be confusing at first, especially if there are many of them in random order (if I remember correctly, there´s already a topic somewhere in the community asking for the possibilty to customize areas).  So, I´ve tried a suggestion from a fellow wonderer and designed a background with marked “areas”.

A little background on our event: virtual language tables in 6 languages, two levels each, which makes 12 areas, plus a help-area.  Participants are expected to move around the room and join several tables.  The problem with wonder-areas is that if you´re zoomed out you can hardly read the names of the areas, and if you´re zoomed in you don´t see all the areas.  Confusing for first-timers on the plattform.

With “areas” built into the background, on the other hand, there´s the problem of avatars and circles moving in relation to the bakground, for example when zooming in and out or when activating the cameras when joining a circle (circles on the top half of the background get moved to the bottom half to make room for the videos).  So, not ideal either.

I´ve experimented with a combination of background design and wonder areas, but that has not lead anywhere so far.  Any ideas or suggestions?

wonder room areas
background “areas”

Can someone share their experiences working with areas built into the background?  Our next event is next Wednesday (13.10.) and I need to decide which design to use…

Looking forward to your feedback!

AS I hafe no experience with “custome-made” backgrounds I cannot help either. enjoy the event anyway.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Love the ideas!

For the event, considering background can look a little difference on different sized screens my suggestion is the following:

Unless you are not relying on VERY specific location markers, and they remain largely sized as they are in your example I would say use the background and see how it goes. The image won’t look so different on screens based on your example to the point where your guests won’t understand where to go.

In the future, we will have the ability to customize the  location and shape of the areas but from my perspective, I say go for it :)

Userlevel 3

Thanks @WonderMichael , I will go for it then.  I´ll let you all know how it goes.  Or stop by on Wednesday 20-22 MEST to see for yourself ;-)  Let me know and I´ll send you the link.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@AnkeH sure PM me the link and I’ll try my best.

Userlevel 3

Hi, just want to let you all know that our customized background looked nice but was not very functional.  Consent from all participants: areas don´t look that goot but work better.

The problem was what I anticipated (see above): avatars and circles moving in relation to the bakground, for example when zooming in and out or when activating the cameras when joining a circle (circles on the top half of the background get moved to the bottom half to make room for the videos).

So, the French circles moded into the German area when zoomed in, the Help Desk into English when the camera was activated, and quite a few circles ended up in an in-between-space.  Participants found it really hard to identify the language of each circle without joining - which had the positive side effect of a greater turn-over in the circles but on the whole was not appreciated.

All participant loved the platform, though.  We´re waiting for the new and improved area feature, @WonderMichael and @Wonder-ful_Andrew :-)

Userlevel 4

Hi, I also prefer working with areas, for the same reasons as those given by @AnkeH.

Before my first event I experimented with backgrounds and ‘areas’ built into the background, but I quickly realized it looks different for every user depending on their screen, their resolution, toolbars in their browser …  

Experimenting with about 10 different laptops and resolutions and taking into account the space you lose when the videos on top open or when you open the chat on the left, I only had a small zone left to design the ‘areas’ into the background. See the square I marked in the background below.

Only the rectangular areas a drew myself on a fixed place in that square were visible at all screens and resolutions. But circles easily got bigger than these self-drawn fixed areas, which made it very confusing.

So I decided to work with the 15 flexible areas that Wonder offers me.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Hans, we’re also happy to tell you that in V.2, the background acts more as a map. This means, where ever the person is in the space, that person will be at that same location regardless of screen size. This also, of course, applies with the areas. :)  When you’re on an area on one screen, you’ll be on that same area on another screen! 

Userlevel 4

Oh, you wrote this earlier, but now I understand what you meant :sunglasses: . Sounds great! This will help many organizers of networking events when they use their own background.